Maintenance Apprentice (Batavia, IL)
Wage Classification: Hourly
Reports To: Maintenance Lead or Director of Engineering
The maintenance apprentice is an entry level position responsible for assisting in the maintenance and engineering department with highly dynamic duties including, but not limited to, machine installations, troubleshooting, repairs, relocations, and general maintenance as well as building and facilities maintenance and repairs in accordance with predictive maintenance systems, operations, and production-based necessity. This position is suitable for a recent technical school graduate who has a high level of mechanical aptitude, someone with some experience with working on mechanical and/or electrical systems or highly motivated individual that is ready to learn. The candidate must be highly motivated to learn a skilled trade and be willing to take on more responsibility as they sharpen their skills.
- Essential Functions:
- Assist maintenance department in diverse tasks including installing and maintaining production machinery, supporting equipment, and facility equipment and machinery.
- With the assistance of a maintenance technician execute emergency/unscheduled repairs of production machinery, supporting equipment, and facility equipment and machinery.
- Utilize computer maintenance management software to schedule and track your daily activities, work orders, maintenance and repair functions, and parts inventory
- Organizing of parts, as well as maintaining clean working facilities for the maintenance department
- Working independently on assign projects, with the ability to understand and follow instructions
- Perform maintenance skills including but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic troubleshooting on production and building equipment
- Perform building maintenance tasks such as cleaning filters, drains, inspecting fire safety, bathroom maintenance, and other related tasks.
- Desire to learn and understand electrical, mechanical and pneumatic schematics/drawings, and use for effective troubleshooting
- Communicate daily with Director of Engineering with respect to repairs, faulty operations, defective materials or parts
- Communicate with OEM’s to assist in troubleshooting and reduce machinery downtime
- Perform office building related installation and maintenance including, but not limited to furniture assembly, data/ power installations, plumbing and lighting repair
- Using a variety of hand and power tools to complete maintenance and repair tasks
- Operate a forklift to assist in heavy lifting maintenance procedures and repairs (will train)
- Drive company vehicle to pick up parts, relocate items or drop off for maintenance as needed- must have a clean driving record
- Completing continuing education courses on relevant topics to build knowledge in the respective fields of maintenance
- Willingness to learn
- Mechanical aptitude
- Safety oriented
- Communication proficiency
- Ethical behavior
- Basic computer skills
This position is non-supervisory and reports directly to Director of Engineering
In the course of daily duties, the maintenance apprentice will frequently be exposed to humidity, as well as warm and cold temperatures as the seasons vary. There may be some exposure to safe levels of air borne ammonia as a by-product of the manufacturing process. The technician may also be exposed to high noise level environments (proper hearing protection will be provided). Working on roofs within safe distance of the edges, and working on lifts and ladders with proper safety equipment.
The following description represents the physical requirements to perform the essential functions of the maintenance technician safely and effectively.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, listen and communicate effectively. This position requires a high level of activity including frequent walking, standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing throughout the course of the day. Frequent lifting and or moving of objects up to 75 lbs. may be required. Pushing, and pulling of loads may also be required.
Position Type/Expected Hours:
This is a full time position with hours of work that may vary based on necessity, candidates skill set and/or emergencies. Ability to work overtime (1-2 days per month) is expected. Position is on-call 1 week out of every 4 weeks in rotation for afterhours emergencies.
- May require some travel less than 10%
- May require some offsite classes/courses
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED
- Desire to learn, willingness to take continuing education classes
- Demonstrated ability to pass relevant aptitude tests
Preferred Education and Experience
- Degree or certification from craft apprenticeship, technical college, or other relevant educational institution
- Flexographic printing experience
- Film converting experience
Eagle Flexible Packaging acknowledges that employees fulfilling this position are hired at will, and understand that their employment is voluntary and may be terminated by either party without notice. The preceding job description is subject to change without notice in the event the requirements of our daily operation dictate.
Why work at Eagle Flexible Packaging?
We provide a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative team of flexible packaging specialists who are passionate about pushing the needle forward for some of the most influential food, liquid and nutraceutical brands in the world. We're fully committed to developing our internal team members to help them not only reach and exceed their individual goals, but also to help them grow as future Eagle leaders.
If you enjoy working in a dynamic, active environment, being part of a team and working hands-on with the latest printing and converting technology, then apply today!